[CQ-Contest] ARRL Public Logs

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sat Dec 21 18:29:15 EST 2019

On 12/21/2019 12:59 PM, N4ZR wrote:
> I really don't resent the ARRL monetizing LOTW,

Ummm, it costs ARRL money to implement LOTW. I'm a strong supporter of
the platform, and won't send a paper card for a QSO that's not confirmed
in LOTW. If I'm contesting casually, I'm much less likely to call a
station that doesn't support LOTW (and nearly all DX contesting from W6
is casual)!  I'm part of a team that activates rare counties (and
sometimes rare grids) in state QSO parties, and our logs are always in
LOTW within a week or so. Last I looked, about 55% of my QSOs since
moving to W6 in 2006 are confirmed in LOTW.

Last I looked, my average cost of a paper QSL for a DX QSO was
approaching $4, assuming 100% return. While OQRS has eliminated the mail
theft, it hasn't reduced that cost. Note that this is NOT a complaint
about supporting DXpeditions, which I routinely do for those I consider
well done operations.

73, Jim K9YC