[CQ-Contest] The Story of Online QSLs

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sat Dec 21 22:25:09 EST 2019

On 12/21/2019 4:59 PM, info at bokverket.com wrote:
> I suppose the many-step procedures for uploading logs still exist.

Not really. The popular logger DXKeeper, part of the FREEWARE DXLab
suite, requires two mouse clicks to upload QSOs and one mouseclick to
download confirmations. With a few more mouse clicks and a bit of RTFM,
DXKeeper prepares applications for DXCC and many other awards. DXKeeper
is so good that, since discovering it soon after I got back on the air
in 2003, I haven't even thought about looking for a better one. :)

DXKeeper is the only non-contest logger I've used, but I'm confident
that other logging software has capabilities like these. It's also quite
easy to upload an ADIF file from almost any contest logger.

It's also easy to log into LOTW from a browser, view the status of your
ARRL awards, select QSOs from a list that qualify, make an application,
and pay fees with a credit card. I do this once a year for DXCC and 6M
VUCC, the two ARRL awards that I chase. I used to make an annual trip
(about an hour each way) to visit my nearest card-checker; now, the
large fraction of needed confirmations that are in LOTW has made those
trips semi-annual, and nearly all for the 6M cards.

73, Jim K9YC