[CQ-Contest] NAQP RTTY - SO2R Reply Delays

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Tue Feb 26 07:00:19 EST 2019

I have never operated NAQP but in other RTTY contests sometimes it is hard
to keep the timing between radios perfect. Some people give long exchanges
and others give more efficient reports. What happens when one quick op and
one slower op finish transmitting at the same time and it is time to
respond to both?  Someone winds up waiting.

John KK9A

Richard Thorne N5ZC wrote:

I played around in the NAQP RTTY Saturday.

Several times I would receive a reply to my CQ and send my exchange, the
other station would have a delayed response.  Enough of a delay that I
could have probably called cq and started another exchange or wished I at
least answered another caller.

I can only assume the other station was running SO2R as the op was
probably busy handling a QSO on another band before replying to my
exchange.

I gotta say this is frustrating and screws up my rate just to improve yours.

I don't operate SO2R because I'm not good at it and don't want to hose up
another op's rates with my lack of skill.  There's others out there with
the same problem and may want to consider not running SO2R.

Flame suite on.

Rich - N5ZC