[CQ-Contest] FT8 not allowed in Winter Field Day?

Sterling Mann kawfey at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 16:03:33 EST 2019

Big discussion on reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/comments/afwgf5/ft8_is_not_an_acceptable_mode_winter_field_day/

I haven't been able to figure out the real reason, but I have a feeling
it's some kind of misunderstanding. There are arguments that it shouldn't
be used in an emergency situation, which is what WFD (and Field Day too)
intend to simulate, because it's too slow/limiting, i.e. wouldn't be able
to pass enough traffic to be effective, or something like that. I think the
very fact it's supposed to simulate emergency lends credence to the claim
that FT8 should be a valid mode.

Confusing the issue is that on the page it says:
>" Modes: Any mode… CW, SSB, AM, FM, DStar, C4FM, DMR, Packet, PSK, SSTV,
RTTY, Olivia, Satellite, etc…"

-N0SSC