[CQ-Contest] Respect, not moral outrage

Drew Vonada-Smith drew at whisperingwoods.org
Sat Jan 19 12:55:29 EST 2019

Contest Friends,

What I see over and over in FT8 threads, and a few other similarly hot topics, is that too many of us cannot discriminate between what is interesting to us, and what is valid for others to pursue.

I have to honestly admit that FT8 bores me.  I can't hear it, and it does not feel ***TO ME*** like it is challenging to my skills.  Again...to repeat....TO ME.  Absolutely it has great technical merit.  It's creation was an act of great skill.  I do operate it when I need a new country on that mode.  Is that hypocritical?  Perhaps, but I don't think so.

On the other hand, if YOU like FT8, go at it.  If your conditions only allow QSOs in FT8, please enjoy.  If an FT8 contest interests you, go for it.  I have no desire to block you from any of those things.  As long as what you want does not destroy my interests, it's all good.  Your participation in something not interesting to me does not do so, even if it is in the same contest.  I feel no moral superiority in our differences.  It's just a different aesthetic.

If a contest doesn't your special interest, perhaps ask them to.  If they choose not to, operate a different one.  Feel free not to participate in theirs.  But please don't react like it is some matter of deep prejudice against you.  It's just a different aesthetic.  Or maybe, a practical issue you are unaware of.  Give them the benefit of the doubt, why not?

Let's stop legislating what *IS VALID* for others and instead let people focus on what is *OF INTEREST* to them.  Feel free to talk about such interests, and let others do so also.  It's a good life practice all around.

73,
Drew K3PA