[CQ-Contest] possible changes for CQ VHF Contest

Jeff Clarke ku8e at ku8e.com
Tue Jul 23 15:44:15 EDT 2019

Hi Dennis,

I can't say that I really like FT8 that much. I just do it to increase
my score and only went to that mode when I heard no other signals on
either CW or SSB. I ended up with 101 CW QSO's, which I think is more
than anyone else who posted their breakdown by mode. The one advantage I
see with FT8/FT4 that it's possible to work closer in grids that you
might not even hear on SSB or CW.  Plus it's a good propagation
indicator. When signals were above 0 dB on FT8 I knew it was time to try
CW or SSB again. I quit around midnight on Saturday night to sleep even
though I was still coping FT8 signals.

My strategy was to be on SSB when signals were really loud, CW when they
got weaker and FT8 when they were gone. I'm afraid the FT4/FT8 mode
isn't going to go away in VHF contests so if you want to have a good
score you have to bite the bullet and as my good friend and mentor K8MR
said "go over to the dark side". I think the next thing the serious SO2R
guys will do is to have one station on the traditional SSB/CW modes and
another totally dedicated to FT8/FT4. They might be doing this already?
A narrow band pass filter would be needed so you don't blow out the
front end of your receivers.

73, Jeff