[CQ-Contest] SO2R filtering help

Bill Fehring bill+cqc at w9kkn.net
Tue Jul 23 21:48:19 EDT 2019

These are annoying to track down, and I appreciate this because I am
currently working a few such problems. For the passive
non-linear/rectifying junctions, your only defense is essentially proper
bonding and grounding around said junctions (rotors, etc.) For active
devices (power supply rectifiers, diodes, etc.) you'll have to just remove
them from the equation (power them off, etc.) assuming that they're under
your control. If you have a particularly clean transmitter (like a K3S),
and you hear the harmonic noise 30+Kcs away from the harmonic at low power,
that's a good place to start when direction finding for the devices using a
small portal receiver, since your harmonic is probably not that
distorted/wide and  a 'growly' noise (indicative of AC Hum) is a good sign
that a power supply is involved.

All I can do is point you to the great work by Jim Brown, K9YC, who
presented this talk at Visalia:
http://audiosystemsgroup.com/Multi-Station.pdf

--Bill/W9KKN