[CQ-Contest] Possible changes for CQ VHF Contest

Tom Frenaye frenaye at pcnet.com
Wed Jul 24 22:27:37 EDT 2019

At 06:00 PM 7/24/2019, NC6K/egruff at cox.net wrote:
> It's great that you all are 2000 miles or less from
>most of Europe, but remember that we are at least 5000 miles from the
>continent.

Eric -

You don't really need to exaggerate when talking about the differences between east and west coast propagation and opportunities for QSOs.

I'm in southern New England - northern Connecticut.   The closest mainland Europe is Ireland - about 3000 miles away. Most of Europe is
more than 4000 miles away (beyond Italy-Austria-Poland-Finland).   At 2000 miles I can work southern Greenland and a lot of Atlantic ocean.

I agree that most of Eu is 5000 miles or more from you.  More important is that your great circle path crosses much farther North than mine does
and encounters more auroral effects.

A good tool for examining distance circles is at https://www.mapdevelopers.com/draw-circle-tool.php
Just plug in your QTH (or someone else's), choose the diameter of a circle, then display the map.   You can draw multiple circles.

    73 Tom (once a west coaster)