[CQ-Contest] SO2R filtering help

Alan Higbie alan.higbie at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 19:56:30 EDT 2019

Hi Andy ~

*Rig here*: Shack on is on second floor.
x2 K3's (with synth upgrade) + P3's;
u2R SO2R box;
5B4AGN LP BPF;
Not trying HP SO2R yet - but have ACOM 1000 -- with SPE 1.5 on order.

*Antennas*: 3 el SteppIR; 2 el Cushcraft on 40; inv. V on 80; and
(seasonally) inv. "L" on 160.
The SteppIR and 2 el 40 are on same tower with 15 feet in between. Pointing
in same direction.

*Changes so far*:
I changed replaced all coax (inside & outside) with double-shielded RG400 &
LMR400
Installed more common mode choke baluns - including one at the feed point
of 3 el. SteppIR. & one for 80 closer to feed-point.
Completely replaced the half-assed control cables I had connecting my 2
K3s.  This included getting N6TV's "Y" Boxes to tame the connections.
Used to have all coax come into shack - but now have pulled the 2x6 switch
out of shack and will do antenna switching in ground floor garage.

*STILL TO DO*:
Changing from Array Solutions 2x6 Six Pak to 2x6 by Low Band Systems switch
(remotely controlled from shack).
Already have (and will soon install) VA6AM High Pass Filters downstairs in
garage by the 2x6 switch.
Will upgrade bonding within the shack - its not bad now - but could use a
refurbishing.
Will systematically install common mode chokes on control cables.
Eventually will re-route AC service to shack so it enters near where the
feed lines come in at the single-point ground panel.

*RFI detection - mitigation*
I have been keeping an RFI log of observations - for past couple of years.
And, I probably ALWAYS will.
For me, this will be an ongoing maintenance issue.

I have been successful in tracking and get power line problems fixed.
But currently I still have some intermittent (and significant) sources.

I periodically run an SDR to track all those little spikes, and to
determine WHEN the noise sources activate.

But like I said - I am following my friend's advice - and upgrading my
station to "best practices" standards.

It now seems, for example, that the 40 meter harmonic on 20 meters is
significantly less disruptive than before.
I used to see much more signal on the other radio's panadapter.  So we're
making progress.
The RFI seems to appear less often - and when it does, it is more limited.

73, Alan K0AV