[CQ-Contest] FT4 *is* a contesting mode. Was: WSJT-X 2.1.0-rc6

DXer hfdxmonitor at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 08:03:12 EDT 2019

Hi Peter,

I wish I could enlighten anybody, some would really benefit, I think. LOL

If FT4 contesting succeeds, it will be a nice problem to have. It's still
too early to tell, more later.

My first reaction/solution to the 'problem' was, 'spin' the dial, 3 kHz at
a time. It's a contest, and as with other contests, most of the band is
available for that short duration, albeit in 'channelized' form. Normal,
non-contest, FT operating outside of the FT 'watering holes' is not
practical, but possible. Band planning and utilization are  mine fields.
Every piece of spectrum real estate is 'owned', mostly by absentee 'owners'
it seems, but I digress.

If my 'calculations' are correct, this is the 3rd attempt at developing an
FT contesting version/mode. The first, using FT8, was not very
efficient/effective.

The second, first using FT4, left too little human reaction time and looked
like it was going to 'legitimize' some form of automation. It was also
prone to too many repeats, slowing things down substantially.

This third one is a very good step forward. There is enough reaction time
for an operator to select who to call, enter the sent report, and log the
contact. Repeats were substantially reduced. Far from being a good sample,
I made 25 contacts in yesterday's 'contest', and only one repeat was needed.

That said, I still do not think it'll replace the premiere non-radio
hardware assisted mode, RTTY.

I don't foresee a CQWW FT4, even less an FT4 category in the RTTY edition.
Therefore, I don't expect Super Stations to participate in any FT4 contest.
My guess is that FT4 contesting will be limited to RU/Field Day type events.

FT8 'fell victim' to its own success. I would not mind FT4 contesting
'suffering' the same fate.

73 de Vince, VA3VF