[CQ-Contest] FT discussions

jimk8mr at aol.com jimk8mr at aol.com
Fri Jun 7 11:35:21 EDT 2019

I'd suggest that the debate is less a matter of "can you hear the signal or not" and more like the difference between a video gaming competition and a robotics competition. In the former real time efforts matter. In the later is is a matter of who can do the best design work in advance. To some of us, we don't care who the best engineers are, but rather who the best athletes are.

Actually this has always been reflected in contesting: those for whom contests are a means of verifying who builds the best stations, and those for whom contests are a means of verifying who are the best operators of stations. Of course this is not an either/or matter, as nearly all contesters are mix of the two, and the operator at a good station needs a lot more skills than a guy stuck in a hidden antenna condo situation, as I am in the winter months.

As for moving the discussion to a digital reflector: the people there are the true believers already. They aren't going to change their views, and they will just be annoyed by these luddite trolls showing up on their reflector.

73  -   Jim   K8MR