[CQ-Contest] Station Re-Build - Coax

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Thu Mar 14 07:25:22 EDT 2019

This is an interesting post since I just made a RG400 jumper last night.
It was made with coax also purchased on eBay more than a year ago
however mine is clearly marked with the manufacture's name - Harbour -
and RG400. I thought everything went well with my coax jumper until I
read Pete's post.  It had been a while since I worked with RG400 and I
had forgotten about the double shield. So I then looked closely at my
cable, the shield is pretty heavy, it was a little difficult to roll
back on the PL-259 adapter however I cannot really see two separate
shields.  Is it possible that there are two shields interweaved on our
cables so it appears as one?

John KK9A

N4ZR wrote:

I just bought 10 feet of RG-400U (supposedly Harbour Industries) through
E-bay for $13.  Belatedly, I learned it was coming from China.  It's now
here, but I don't think it is for real - it only has one shield, and is
somewhat stiff.  At least the inner conductor isn't magnetic.There's no
printing on the cable.

Buyer beware.

73, Pete N4ZR