[CQ-Contest] Station Re-Build - Coax

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Mar 14 14:04:37 EDT 2019

Both for re-wiring my station and for my project on the new Choke
Cookbook, I've purchased roughly 200 ft of RG400, all printed with the
label of Harbour Industries. It is relatively stiff, as are other Teflon
cables like RG303 and RG142. I terminate the cables with Amphenol 83-1SP
connectors and silver-plated reducers. The shield clearly is a double
braid, quite dense, and requires effort with a suitable pick to comb
out, but with a decent temperature-controlled soldering station, it's
quite easy to make excellent solder connections to the shield by folding
it back over the reducer and screwing the reducer into the connector
body. And I am careful not to nick strands of the center conductor,
using a good stripper to do the job.

FWIW, NA6O, an U of Ill EE and very sharp cookie, has been doing a lot
to improve N6RO's already quite excellent contesting station, and has
been using a lot of RG400 in it. He's bought some from China and has
been quite satisfied with it.

73, Jim K9YC