[CQ-Contest] Station Re-Build - Coax

donovanf at starpower.net donovanf at starpower.net
Fri Mar 15 13:22:19 EDT 2019

Hi Scott,

In most single op stations d ouble shielded coax is an unnecessary
expense if common sense RFI avoidance practices are followed,
such as:

- not bundling coaxial cables with other cables, and

- not routing coax carrying microvolt signals in close proximity
to strong RFI generators such as computers, computer monitors,
lighting fixtures, switching power supplies and heating and air
conditioning equipment. Its best to use double shielded or solid
shielded coax if you must route coax cables in close proximity to
RFI generating electrical equipment.

If you for some reason you must bundle coax cables, always avoid
bundling coax cables carrying microvolt signals (cables from receiving
antennas or antennas used for both transmitting and receiving) with
- coax cables used for transmitting.
- video monitor cables
- computer network cables
- AC power cables
- or any other cables potentially carrying high level RF signals.

Double-shielded coaxial cables such as RG-223, RG-400 and
RG-214 carrying microvolt signals can usually be bundled with
with double shielded cables carrying high level signals but great
care must be exercised when installing connectors on all of the
bundled cables to achieve the greatest possible shield integrity
between the coax cable shields and the connectors. I ts never good
practice to bundle coax carrying microvolt signals with unshielded
AC power cables.

73
Frank
W3LPL