[CQ-Contest] Origin of 3830 Score Reporting

Dave k2xr at ptd.net
Mon Mar 18 17:43:54 EDT 2019

>What's the origin of sharing claimed scores and "war stories" on 3830 kHz after a contest? When did it start? Who started it? Thanks.

     Bruce,

      Perhaps W3LPL or KR2Q could go back further than my recollection as
could others but: When I started doing M/M operations in the late 70's,
all the big MM and MS groups would get together on 3830 immediately
after the contest ended, and exchange numbers. It was obvious to me then
that this was not something new, but the expected end to a
fun/competitive weekend.

     An excellent example of this was captured in the film "To Win the
World" which has been mentioned in this reflector on several occasions.
The exchange between N2AA and W2PV and (W3LPL edited out) operators at
the end of the flick was a live capture of their 3830 conversation as
soon as the tallying by hand of QSO's and Mults of written logs took
place and numbers computed on trusty HP pocket calculators, or scrawled
on a legal pad with a #2 pencil.

     Looking forward to other replies.

Dave K2XR