[CQ-Contest] Origin of 3830 Score Reporting

Richard DiDonna richnn3w at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 08:58:19 EDT 2019

I wasn’t active until the late 1980s in the world of contesting but concur with what KQ2M has said.  3830 was definitely the place to be after a contest and, yes, a lot of side bars took place on 3827 and 3833.

Since 3830 (the email reflector) and the web version have taken form hold, often the 3830 conversation was limited to KC1XX W3LPL and K3LR.  Sometimes other multis like K1TTT or others would check in but it was usually just the big east M/Ms.  perhaps NR4M will join as he has developed a formidable station.

I can guarantee you that a lot of ops time into 3830 to hear the scores - even those of us who have just come off 44 or 48 hours of SOAB or M/S operating.  While hearing the band breakdowns of the teams at Frank’s place or Tom’s place is awe inspiring, knowing that their ops were wowed or frustrated by conditions validates what we experienced in our own operations.

IIRC I remember one year where Frank was giddy because his team did 5 Band DXCC in one weekend “the hard way” (ie, DXCC on 160 - 15 but not 10).  Must have been CQWW CW in 2010 or so.

73 Rich NN3W

Sent from my iPhone