[CQ-Contest] FT4 - Robotic Contesting

Jim jimk8mr at aol.com
Fri May 3 09:06:26 EDT 2019

These digital modes, with appropriate tweaks to allow non-trivial information, can be very useful for communicating. But for sport? Not unless your sport is robotics.

Imagine a similar takeover by machines of a well known sport: tennis. It’s not hard to imagine a robot that would eject a tennis ball into the air and use a mechanical arm with a tennis racquet attached to hit a ball at a similar robot on the other side of a tennis net, and with appropriate vision software then get to that ball when it is returned to again hit it over a net, and so on. What would that prove, and what about it would be interesting to observe?

And I find that mentally decoding a call out of a pileup or out of noise comprises a lot more than 1% of contact management.

73  -   Jim  K8MR