[CQ-Contest] Minority Report: FT4 - Robotic Contesting

Michael Clarson wv2zow at gmail.com
Fri May 3 17:28:33 EDT 2019

An interesting thought. FT# modes produce QSOs that comply with FCC Rule
97.119 a. while typical CW or SSB QSOs do not.Quoted below.

*§97.119   Station identification.*

(a) Each amateur station, except a space station or telecommand station,
must transmit its assigned call sign on its transmitting channel at the end
of each communication, and at least every 10 minutes during a
communication, for the purpose of clearly making the source of the
transmissions from the station known to those receiving the transmissions.
No station may transmit unidentified communications or signals, or transmit
as the station call sign, any call sign not authorized to the station.

On CW, a run station, if he considers the communication the CQ, and he IDs
at least every 10 minutes, he complies with 97.119 a.

The station calling the run station typically only sends his call at the
beginning of the communication, not at the end, therefore does NOT comply
with 97.119 a. either to the letter or spirit of the rule.

FT-8 does send the station call sign at the end of the communication,
thereby complying with 97.119 a. But does it? FT8 sends a 73 after the
call. If one likens the 73 to such finishing characters like "K". "SK"
"QRT" "QRZ" etc. it still complies If not, then  A "/73" would  comply. See
97.119 c.

One last comment --unlike CW and SSB, in  RTTY contests sending one's call
at the end of a communication is pretty common practice. --Mike, WV2ZOW