[CQ-Contest] Dayton Tornado

jimk8mr at aol.com jimk8mr at aol.com
Tue May 28 15:59:30 EDT 2019

Having had nothing special to see on Sunday at Xenia, we took a ride past HARA Arena on the way home. Yes, it looked pretty desolate, plywood over windows and doors, etc. Much other stuff in the area - former shopping malls, etc. - were closed up, and the area pretty depressed.

While taking a slow drive around the building, we had a visit from a Trotwood police officer. Seems there is a tiny "No Trespassing" sign on a pole at the entrance, though the entrance drive was not blocked off. We were very polite, and successfully answered his security question: "Where is the Hamvention now held?"
We chatted with the officer for a while. They have had lots of urban explorers, some of who have posted videos of the inside of HARA. I've not looked for them, but the officer did say that the old hockey rink area was trashed and beyond salvage, but some of the newer parts had possibilities. But I'm sure all that is gone with yesterday's tornadoes.

RIP HARA.

73  -  Jim  K8MR