[CQ-Contest] Mice - ugh! Shack Cleanup?

Bob Shohet, KQ2M kq2m at kq2m.com
Sun Nov 3 13:59:14 EST 2019

I am continuing to clean up the shack after a mouse infestation some time back

I know what to use for hard non-permeable surfaces but I am far less clear on what to use for soft porous surfaces – sheets of paper, qsl cards, record albums, etc.

My goal is to clean and disinfect without damaging the items if possible.  I have read all the relevant sections of the CDC website and attempted to contact them and speak to a knowledgeable human being but the “gatekeepers” absolutely DO NOT let you talk to anyone in the CDC.  You can request info and a callback (which I did) but they simply ignore the request.  Their posted recommendations are not helpful nor do they address my remaining questions (which was why I called them in the first place).

Many of us live in the woods so it is likely that you have had to deal with this at one time of another.  I wish to avoid using bleach on porous items because it damages them and it leaves a residue behind which your skin picks up when it touches the object that has been treated with bleach.  And then you touch other things with your fingers and transfer the bleach residue to them which is potentially dangerous – especially food.

Any specific recommendations or knowledge on the subject?

Tnx & 73

Bob KQ2M