[CQ-Contest] Precedence?

Alan M. Eshleman doctore at well.com
Fri Nov 8 15:52:50 EST 2019

It's difficult.  Assuming the station does stay around for fills, "pre" or "prec" are about the best you can do.  In some cases--when the op at the other end just doesn't get it--I have resorted to sending "letter?".

I'm curious about why it's "precedence" in the first place? The letters describe what are fundamentally operating class designations?  Is this some sort of quaint anachronism retained from traffic handling (as  "check" for year first licensed also appears to be?). Precedency is defined as:

"the condition of being considered more important than someone or something else; priority in importance, order, or rank."

73, Alan/K6SRZ