[CQ-Contest] N4PN

Jim Neiger n6tj at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 8 23:38:05 EST 2019

My two favorite Paul Newberry stories:

November 1969.  Port-of-Spain, Trinidad.  I get a phone call. Paul, John
Laney K4BAI, and John Doramus W2TA had just landed Piarco Airport in
W2TA's plane, stopping over on their way to PJ0 for the upcoming CQ WW
CW Contest.  I pick them up at the Normandy Hotel, and take them to my
home overlooking the Gulf of Paria, the Trinidad Yacht Club, and the
city lights of Port-of-Spain.  Having a few gallons of Old Oak Rum
leftover from a recent party, we settle in on my terrace with a few cold
ones, thinking THIS must be they're wanting to do.  Nah.  They're all
restless and fidgety.  I ask "what the heck is wrong with you guys,
isn't this great"??  Nope, they yell in unison:  Where's the shack??  My
very basic 9Y4AA  station; Collins S-Line, 30L-1 amplifier; TH-6
TRIBANDER; 14AVQ mounted on the roof.  Radio's in the bedroom, only room
with a/c.  One of them sits down, fires up on 40 and nabs a VQ8, first
call.  Yes, this is great, and they fly off to Curacao, carrying with
them a gallon of OLD OAK.

Sometime in the early 1980's:  I'm on a LIAT (Leave Islands Any Time)
flight to Barbados and my 8P6J shack for the upcoming CQ WW CW.  Down
the airplane aisle come a couple of tourists, trying to put in the
overhead what I immediately recognize as a 50 lbs Alpha Amplifier
transformer box, so adeptly trying to handle it like it was a sponge
cake.  Well it's Paul and Bob K4UEE, off to St Kitts or St Vincent, or
some radio friendly contest spot.  Paul and I briefly  renew our old
friendship, I meet Bob for the first time and we all have a good laugh.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend,

Jim Neiger   N6TJ