[CQ-Contest] Tower safety

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Fri Nov 15 12:14:21 EST 2019

That's a pretty ridiculous position.  It's not a case of fitness ...
it's a case of whether or not you are protected against an accident.

1.  Any quality control expert anywhere in the world will tell you that
humans are fallible.  They make mistakes, a fact that has generated more
manufacturing automation than any pursuit of lower cost.

2.  Mechanical failure is a fact of life.  Bad welds, hidden corrosion,
degraded materials, etc.

3.  General uncertainty.  I've never seen a single tower project where
everything went exactly to plan.  An unforeseen issue at the wrong time
in the wrong place can mean death.

4.  Not all relevant conditions are controllable or predictable.  A wind
gust or the unanticipated action of a helper isn't something your level
of fitness is going to protect you from.

So to be honest I don't think you actually do know your limits, at least
when it comes to judgement.  Your reliance on your level of fitness is
every bit as much a sense of false security as is relying on a harness,
and at least harnesses aren't prone to decisions that can kill you.

Our club had a member and friend in good shape (both mentally and
physically) who did tons of tower work, both privately and
commercially.  He also free climbed to get into position, and is no
longer with us as a direct result.

I hope nobody else on this reflector thinks the same way you do.

Dave   AB7E