[CQ-Contest] Tower safety

K9MA k9ma at sdellington.us
Fri Nov 15 21:45:31 EST 2019

As I understand it, Paul had a "single point failure". When the pulley
failed, there was no backup.

The main idea of fall protection is to eliminate single point failures,
the idea being that multiple simultaneous failures are much less likely.
(The same principle applies to designing high reliability electronics
and other systems.) For example, when climbing a tower with a fall
arrest system, it is the backup for your hands and feet and vice versa.
When you attach the positioning lanyard, the fall arrest system is its
backup, so you can let go of the tower. When I do something particularly
risky, like climbing onto the top plate, I'll have two fall arrest
lanyards attached, as the hands and feet aren't so secure then.

As has been pointed out, the hand, feet, and associated control system
are particularly unreliable, so it's good to back them up.

73,
Scott K9MA