[CQ-Contest] Tower safety

wc1m73 at gmail.com wc1m73 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 16 12:58:40 EST 2019

I completely agree that failure analysis is key to reducing/eliminating accidents ("Air Disasters" on Smithsonian Channels, which focuses on the NTSB analysis of airplane accidents, is one of my favorite programs.)

But one rule I try to follow that may not directly flow from analysis is:

- Carefully plan every climb, right down to the sequence of operations and moves you and your ground crew will need to make and every tool/part you will need. Write it down, go over it several times, refine it and memorize it.

Also, make sure your ground crew thoroughly understands what need to be done.

I did this when I built my 110' Rohn 55 tower, which has three TIC rings and six antennas. Big, complicated project that required every step to be thought through. That took more time, but it was worth it. I still try to follow the rule even for small projects on the tower. Once, when planning the project to tram the top yagi I built a small model of the mast with it's existing antenna and the one I was going to place above it to plan out the moves I'd need to make to get the upper antenna past the lower antenna. I learned that it wasn't going to work unless I partially disassembled the upper antenna and assembled it on the mast. Glad I found that out before trying to raise the assembled antenna.

Of course, few if any projects go as planned, so you may have to make adjustments. But I've found that following this rule improves safety and can substantially reduce time spent on the tower. It also eliminates the all-too-common problem of getting to your work position only to find out you forgot to bring a tool or a part with you and have to climb back down and back up (if you don't have a ground person or didn't bring a rope and pulley.)

The idea is that the more time you spend on the tower, and the more climbing/moving you do, the more fatigued you'll get. That can lead to mistakes, injury or even death.

As I get older I've been looking for ways to reduce the energy expended on the tower. I climb with a fall-arrest Y-lanyard, but it takes considerable energy to hook and unhook the leads every three steps. For that reason I've been looking into installing a safety cable, such as a Tuf-Tug. May be problematic with three Tic rings on the tower, which will still have to be climbed over, but I believe it will make climbing faster, easier and safer. Expensive? Somewhat, but not relative to the cost of the tower, antennas and my life. And no, free-climbing is not the solution for me.

I don't want to get in the middle of the full-body harness vs belt debate, but will just state that I use a Petzel full-body harness designed for industrial uses with the aforementioned fall-arrest Y-lanyard, a Petzel adjustable positioning lanyard and a short strap/carabiner attached to the waist ring for quickly clipping to the tower before placing the positioning lanyard. Weight carried up/down the tower is a big factor. The harness is lightweight compared with other industrial harnesses I've tried. I've also reduced the weight of the Y-lanyard by using a "Via Ferrata" lanyard with lighter hooks and elastic straps. I don't know if anyone climbs without a helmet these days, but if so I'd I strongly recommend against it. And it's just as important for every member of the ground crew to wear a safety helmet. I can't count the number of times I've bumped my head hard on something on the tower or dropped a tool with a crew member near the base of the tower (though I always tell them to stay away from the base unless absolutely necessary.)

Great video and great discussion.

73, Dick WC1M