[CQ-Contest] When is a FTn Contest QSO Complete?

Randy Thompson K5ZD k5zd at charter.net
Sun Sep 1 13:42:46 EDT 2019

I ran into similar issues many times this weekend.  With the FT modes being
so automated, it is really important that everyone understands and uses the
same message sequences.  Different programs seemed to have different
expectations for the "next" message causing a lot of repeats and abandoned
QSOs.

The grid gets sent with the CQ.  The WW Digi rules required an exchange of
grids.

I would like to see something like this:

> CQ TEST K5ZD FN42
< K5ZD WA7BNM CM00
> K5ZD WA7BNM R FN42  <<I have your grid, here is mine again to meet rules
and expectations
< K5ZD WA7BNM 73      <confirming completion
> CQ TEST K5ZD FN42

Alternate 1

> CQ TEST K5ZD FN42
< K5ZD WA7BNM R CM00  <<The R signals I have your grid from the CQ
> K5ZD WA7BNM RR 73   <<I got your grid and we are good
< K5ZD WA7BNM 73      <confirming completion
> CQ TEST K5ZD FN42

This at least forces some handshake between the two parties.

That final 73 is important.  Without it, I am logging a QSO where the only
time I heard the guy was when he called me.  I logged a bunch of these this
weekend only to have the guy call me again a few minutes later.

I am not FT expert.  Just someone having fun trying to figure out the game
as it was played this weekend.

Randy K5ZD