[CQ-Contest] FT8 vs FT4 in the Contest

Mark - N5OT r-emails at n5ot.com
Tue Sep 3 15:14:46 EDT 2019

Hey John,

I am an absolute noob here - I made about 15 QSOs in the previous month
of practice sessions.  My experience was the majority of my QSOs went as
planned/predicted/smoothly.  I usually got a response from one station,
we both exchanged what was expected and in the right order, with
sufficient acknowledgement, etc.  I was able to choose to command the
program to log a QSO or I could set the program up to log
automatically.  I could easily delete a QSO if I felt the program logged
one that didn't really happen.  I could easily edit any entry in the
log.  WSJT-X is a pretty smart program.  Well done, Dr. Princeton.

Where there could be issues, and I had a few, would be needing to send
different messages in a different order, for whatever reason, but that
just takes some thinking and getting used to.  Whoever said it can't be
done is incorrect.  It can be done.  Unlike RTTY, it's all a slave to
the 7.5 or 15 second cycles that churn on relentlessly regardless
whether the operator is thinking fast enough!  Then, too, things may
wind up in the handbasket when more than one other station is trying to
have a QSO with you at the exact same time.  You don't really know what
each of the other stations trying to work you has and has not received.
Of course, by definition you can only talk to one of them at a time, so
... it gets hairy.  But in a strange sort of way, that's where the old
contest strategy brain would kick in, and you would have to use your
skill and wits to figure out what to do on the fly.  Like at least about
once a minute, and only if you pay close attention to all that is going
on.  Which is a challenge.

Imagine how relieved I was when I realized this was not all the
boringness the naysayers had been building up.  I admit, after a while,
FT8 was like watching paint dry compared to FT4 but it turns out the
really smart guys worked a whole lot of higher point QSOs while watching
that paint dry because FT8 has a better S/N ratio.  I was all
flash-in-the-pan and worked very few DX stations.  Oh well.  I'll chalk
that up to experience and operate smarter next time :-)

Interestingly, I heard all kinds of horror stories about how getting
N1MM and WSJT to work together was not going well for a lot of people,
but a friend said on the side, "I set it up and it works great" so I
YouTubed it about 3 hours in, and followed the instructions and it
worked great for me too.  First try.  I think I had to open a couple
menus and click a few boxes.  Exporting the existing log from WSJT-X,
then importing it into N1MM, made it so I could keep the modes separate,
identify dupes, and keep track of Qs, bands, modes, mults.  In short, I
was cooking with gas.  N1MM worked great.

I was on for less than 10 hours, but my experience was positive. I had a
whopping good time.  I'll do it again next year.  And the year after
that if I live to tell about it.

73 - Mark N5OT