[CQ-Contest] Modify AL-1200 HV Power Supply by adding 2 capacitors & bleeder resistors

Tony Brock-Fisher barockteer at aol.com
Fri Sep 13 10:23:56 EDT 2019

I did a similar mod on my AL-1200. If you read the original QST review
you will note that some of the early ones had incorrectly wound HV
transformers - mine must have been one of those, as it never got over
3200V. I added one filter cap and bleeder to bump the rating of the
capacitor bank to 9x450=4050V, then changed the primary tap on the
transformer. I now get 3600V on the HV. This gets the output and gain up
where it should be.

It has run this way for a decade.

-Tony, K1KP