[CQ-Contest] Why were there so many busted skimmer spots during WAE?

Mike Smith VE9AA ve9aa at nbnet.nb.ca
Wed Aug 12 15:52:20 EDT 2020

I noticed a couple, but really not many.  I have no way to know if the vy
few bloopers I saw were generated by the RBN or a human.

Those 15-20% contest I am assisted, I connect to VE7CC which I find very
reliable and I know he carries skimmer spots.

What I did notice was the times that I used the VFO, I could find EU
stations that were not (ever?) spotted here before the RBN snagged them.
That may be a product of the fact I am in the very NorthEast of NA (VY2 and
VO1 excepted) and there are no close skimmers to me.  The closest ones are
WZ7I, KM3T, W1NT a few hundred kms away.

One call I "watched for" but didn't see this weekend (but I have no doubt
I'll see it next big contest) is YT3X busted as TJ3X (which seems like an
odd bust..I have always just wondered if someone, somewhere is just playing
a mean joke on poor YT3X)

Inquiring minds.

Mike VE9AA *(normally UNconnected, but some of those EU 'tests which don't
differentiate, I connect up-why not?)

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB