[CQ-Contest] Rules for SAC 2020

Mats Strandberg sm6lrr at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 12:03:43 EDT 2020

Barry,

Yes, it is true, I might operate Unassisted as a choice, but it will NOT
make me in place for one of the plaques.

And I have been operating SAC seriously for many years and won several
European Continental Winner plaques. I have good reasons to evaluate how
much Assisted or Non-Assisted means in this contest, and there is huge
difference.

Paul might not have worked SAC as much as others, but I like his analytics
and reasoning. I could have used exactly the same arguments, to this email
is great support of his view. On every sing;le aspect, including the wish
that SAC CC swallow the reality and agree that this is was a mistake, and
that this mistake is not rectified simply because they allow people to add
the letter N as an indication that they worked without the assistance.

The effort of winning SAC from outside Scandinavia is many times bigger if
not using assistance. You need to find the casual Scandinavians that maybe
only work 50 contacts or less. You need to manage to move them from one
band to the other, by estimating conditions and likelihood that the contact
on another band will be possible. You need to look for the odd openings and
not just let others find them and then like a swarm of bees, 50 other
stations will get the same benefit when the cluster announces that odd
opening.

I am very hesitant to be part of the click euphoria that the new SAC CC
rules are dictating. Before, 60% of the non Scandinavians had to personally
look for the station. Now, all of them will be served on a golden tray.
Not interesting at all - I have tested Assisted in SAC 2019 to get a full
understanding of that reality too. This year I had already decided to work
unassisted again, but now I am seriously considering not to work at all,
until SAC CC changes back to the same rules that 60% favoured in 2019.

As Paul expressed, there is still a chance for the committee to listen to
the customers:  Remove this rule or any of the emergency modifications
imposed as some sort of bad compromise. There are many (the majority) that
disagree with the decision of SAC CC to remove unassisted.

73 de Mats RM2D (SM6LRR)