[CQ-Contest] CQWW is a Great Contest -- NOT

ku8e ku8e at ku8e.com
Fri Dec 4 19:04:37 EST 2020

Just because someone wants to operate remotely doesn't make them any lesser of an operator. In fact I would make the argument that someone operating at home has an advantage over someone that is operating remotely. Those internet drops and other problems that you have to fix remotely always seem to come at the worse time. I've setupPJ4A four times this year for K4BAI so I have lots of experience in this area. We really would've liked to have operated PJ4A as a multi-op in CQWW like we always do but there was no way for us to be competitive with one radio so that's why we did single bands. Sure you could setup a two station remote but that can get very expensive. All the amplifiers you can control remotely aren't cheap! I have lots of respect to those who can score high while operating remotely.  Just look at what N6MJ did in CQWW CW.JeffSent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Jim Brown <k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com> Date: 12/4/20  9:30 AM  (GMT-05:00) To: cq-contest at contesting.com Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW is a Great Contest -- NOT On 12/2/2020 5:08 PM, rjairam at gmail.com wrote:> Some of the west coast is now remoting out East now, so what's the problem?A large part of the fun for me is doing it from a station that I built, and I have greater respect for guys like my neighbor K6XX who built all of his, than for guys who haven't done that, just that walk in and operate. When Bob lost his home and station in a wildfire three months ago, I offered him my station for any test that he chose to operate. He thanked me, but instead said he wanted to work from what he could rebuild on the ruins.My point here is that contest scoring rules should not strongly favor one region over another, but it's obvious from where I sit that the rules strongly favor the people who make them. K6XX has made to a couple of WRTCs, and during the one in Boston, he had the chance to operate someone's station there (not as a WRTC competitor). He told me on his return that it was a completely different contest. THAT'S the problem.And, I repeat, CQWW IS a very simple-minded contest. All you have to do is get the call right and the logging software does the rest for the vast majority of stations you're going to work. Yes, US, VE, VK, and Russia are exceptions. Compare that to a contest like SS where you actually have to copy something the logging program doesn't tell you.73, Jim K9YC_______________________________________________CQ-Contest mailing listCQ-Contest at contesting.comhttp://lists.contesting.com/mailman/listinfo/cq-contest