[CQ-Contest] 3 and 4 letter calls

Ron Notarius W3WN wn3vaw at verizon.net
Thu Feb 20 16:16:49 EST 2020

Hi Doug,

50/50, hmmm?  Well what do you know.  For once, my opinion is NOT in the minority!

I understand the reasons for the call's retirement, but am sorry to see it happen.  I can only hope that a "permanent" retirement gets reconsidered down the road, maybe as technology improves.

One has to also wonder... if the RBN and skimmers had technical issues with EE5E, would EE5I, EE5S and/or EE5H suffer from the same issues?

Oh, and speaking of technology, something interesting happened a few days ago.  VP2MSS was active in the contest, and I remember seeing a lot of spots for him.  He was on again Monday evening; but when I put in spot for him, it got rejected (at least by the node I was using at the time - which was the same one during the contest) as an invalid call, the system suggesting that maybe it was VP2MSI that I heard.  This makes me wonder if spots for VP2MSS also suffered a fate like that before & during the contest.

73, ron w3wn