[CQ-Contest] 3 and 4 letter calls

Hans Brakob kzerohb at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 23:42:44 EST 2020

I have lived with a “dit rich” 4 letter call for 50 years.  I can confirm that suffix dits, especially trailing dits, suck in a contest. They simply get lost in the noise, as the plethora of KØSB, KØHD, and KØSD busts in my UBN’s attest to.

Someone once remarked that a good CW contest callsign should have “high average power” in the suffix.  I think “TT” would be the best suffix, but I’d wager that N2MM, K1TO, NØAT, and K6NJ suffer far less “my call busted” Q’s than I do.

73, de Hans, KØHB
“Just a Boy and his Radio”™