[CQ-Contest] Not just long calls slowing things down: getting delayed responses when S&Ping

jpescatore at aol.com jpescatore at aol.com
Fri Feb 21 06:00:06 EST 2020

With the rise of SO2R, the fact that most multi-op stations have two active stations per active band (with interlocks) and the increase in remote operations, in the ARRL CW there was a noticeably higher percentage of delayed responses from CQers when I was S&Ping, long enough where the delay prompts many to resend - often right as the CQer is finally responding, often resulting in flurries of ?? from the S&Pers and the CQer having to repeat.
I switched to QSK when S&Ping, which I don't normally turn on, so I could tell if the CQer started to respond when I started to repeat my call. The other approach is to just move on if no immediate response, just like I do if there is an immediate response but not to me -  there is always another CQer waiting to be called when S&Ping. The skimmer assisted S&P rates are phenomenal, makes the delays very noticeable.

The future generation skimmers can add a parameter: response time. Then, I could sort the Available Q Mult window to do my ALT-A S&Ping ordered by response time to first work those below the one call threshold! Or SO2Rs could adopt the RTTY tradition of sending the "K3TN 5NN K K3TN" type of response if they are hitting high percentages of ?? after coming back delayed.

73 John K3TN