[CQ-Contest] SO2R Coax Stub location; outside?

Mike Smith VE9AA ve9aa at nbnet.nb.ca
Sat Feb 22 16:52:17 EST 2020

Is it reasonable to assume I could locate all my coax stubs 165' away from
the shack outside at the antenna switch?

Currently I run SO2R with no band pass filters, nor coax stubs, but I have a
'relatively' large lot (2.2ac) and "radio 2" has a single antenna
(horizontal ZS6BKW) located at the opposite end of the lot and the primary
"radio 1" has a variety of verticals or vertical arrays, so it works.

Sometimes that's an advantage (speed of QSY's; not ever having to worry
about switching in stubs or filters) but sometimes there is a very small
amount of crossband QRM (self inflicted) and it always prevents running on 2
bands with my 'best' antennas.  For example, when I am running on 40m/80m I
have to choose one 4-Sq and always the horizontal antenna is parked on
"radio 2" (a ZS6BKW w/ 15m add-on element).

If I bought 2 sets of bandpass filters and made up 6 coax stubs that I could
locate out at the antenna switch, I think it would be a small step up for my
signal on some band combos.  The relatively low ZS6' ain't exactly a pileup
buster ;-)

Reason is, there is NO ROOM in the shack for stubs.  Just none.

So, any downside to doing it this way?

Mike VE9AA "NB"

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB