[CQ-Contest] 3 and 4 letter contesting callsigns

Masa Miura, AJ3M masa.miura.aj3m at gmail.com
Sun Feb 23 00:25:17 EST 2020

How about a callsign beginning with a number, such as 4U1WB in Washington,
DC? Many asked me to repeat the call. I said, "My prefix is Four United One
and the suffix is Whiskey Bravo." They still do not get it.

It seemed that some DX guys were annoyed when I kept calling them as I
wanted to give out the DC multiplier in the ARRL DX Contests. Some ignored
my calls. They thought that I was new to contesting and that I did not know
the rules. Some were kind enough to
explain to me that as they were to work American and Canadian stations
only, they would not work 4U1WB. I thought that they needed the DC
multiplier more than I needed them.

This happened every year during the ARRL CW/Phone DX Contests. Even some
US operators (I could tell from their accent during the Phone Contests that
they are from the US) at well-known DX contest stations ignored my calls or
told me that they would not work 4U1WB because they were looking for US/VE
stations.

73,

Masa, AJ3M