[CQ-Contest] Alligators

Edward Sawyer EdwardS at sbelectronics.com
Mon Feb 24 07:49:22 EST 2020

Shouldn't you be equally lower in signal strength on the 4 square as your ability to hear callers from the west?  Not an alligator?

In my case, I have a bi-directional array pointing NE/SW and I also have the ability to listen with 2 beverages pointing in the 2 directions, switching out one once hearing a weaker station.

I think the bigger issue is the amount of QRM east of the Mississippi from 00 - 07Z (East Coast plus Europe) vs the West coast during that time.  So similarly to me hearing an EU station in broad daylight on 80M or 160M 30 - 90 mins before sunset.  I can hear them perfectly, but they never respond back.  My noise floor is S0 at that time.  Who know what the EU station is hearing.

The point situation is a bigger discussion.  The contest isn't a QSO party, it's a DX contest.  So of course DX (as defined normally) should count more (insert the usual distance based scoring dialog here).  There are other contests - like Stew Perry - where DX is defined differently.  However you define it, you are not going to beat the coastal stations on 160M.

Ed  N1UR