[CQ-Contest] FT4 and FT8 Contesting

Ed Muns ed at w0yk.com
Wed Feb 26 20:46:10 EST 2020

Good comments, Randy.

I've copied the paper's authors because some of them aren't regular
subscribers to this list.  The ideal protocol for QSO completion and logging
differs by contest.  Rather than specify a set of exact protocols covering
all contests, we offered a list of the message content sufficient for a
complete QSO.  It is the same list that top CW, SSB and RTTY operators
recommend.  That is, both QSO partners exchange calls and exchanges plus an
ACK (each) that the information was received.

The paper points out that a third ACK, e.g., '73' sent in response to a
'RR73' is unnecessary.  Nonetheless, some operators, often casual operators,
have come to expect a third ACK (73) is needed for QSO completion.  In those
cases, they often repeat their RR73 message in order to elicit another ACK
(73) from their QSO partner.  An attentive QSO partner will pick up on that
clue and manually send the unnecessary third ACK (73) to maximize
probability that their QSO partner will log the QSO.  This is an example of
operator engagement and dynamic messaging that encourages skill development
in FT contesting.

NILs will never be eliminated, in any mode, because of the imperfect nature
of radio propagation.  Message delivery cannot be guaranteed, no matter how
many ACKs are sent.  Over decades of operation and contesting the NIL rates
for CW, SSB and RTTY have settled in the range of 1-2%.  When a QSO message
is not copied, we ask for fills or repeat our last message.  We've learned
that if our QSO partner starts a new QSO right after we should have received
their last message in our QSO, that that most likely means they logged the
QSO.   Our assumptions will never be 100% right, thus a small NIL rate.
That's reality and what makes operating interesting and not a purely robotic
activity.

Currently, the FT NIL rate is significantly higher than the legacy modes,
4-6%.  The first step of improvement is to reduce it to what the other modes
have shown is feasible.  There will always be the quest for a Golden log,
balanced with speed.

Ed W0YK