[CQ-Contest] FT4 and FT8 Contesting

Ed Muns ed at w0yk.com
Thu Feb 27 14:07:21 EST 2020

[Ed Muns] All true, but …

From: rjairam at gmail.com <rjairam at gmail.com>
Sent: 27 February, 2020 06:59
To: ed at w0yk.com
Cc: Don Hill AA5AU <aa5au at bellsouth.net>; Iztok Saje <iztok.saje at telekom.si>; Joe Taylor <joe at princeton.edu>; Steven Franke <s.j.franke at icloud.com>; cq-contest at contesting.com; k5zd at charter.net
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] FT4 and FT8 Contesting

RRR or RR73 is a trigger to log the QSO. If you don’t receive it, auto sequence won’t log the QSO.

[Ed Muns] Auto-sequencing is an operator convenience that can be over-ridden as appropriate based on the operator’s attention to each specific QSO.  Note that some FT software, e.g., DigiRite, can automatically send the unnecessary 73 message when a repeat RR73 (or other ACK) message is received.  Still, the operator should be diligently watching to be sure the best messaging is used for the situation.

Typical CW QSO (using grids as an example)

Them: CQ TEST K5ZD

Me: N2RJ

Them: N2RJ 5NN FN42

Me: [Ed Muns] TU 5NN FN21[Ed Muns]  <-- TU or R is recommended for clarity, though some leave it implied

Them: TU [Ed Muns] Some ops will instead send ‘K5ZD’ only, especially in high rate periods where their call sign (only) implies the ACK and CQ for next callers.  In general, though, an explicit ‘R’ or ‘TU’ or ‘73’ are preferable for maximum clarity and lower NIL rates.

The TU is the ack. Without receiving TU I don’t know if the QSO is clean.

[Ed Muns] And, without the TU or R in N2RJ’s exchange message above, K5ZD is less sure you have ACK’d his exchange.  Best practice, in any mode, is for each QSO partner to explicitly send an ACK that the call and exchange were received.

Equivalent in FT8 is RR73 or RRR. If I don’t receive those I don’t know if QSO is clean.

[Ed Muns] These are most common but 73 or R or TU can be used.  Any of them provides the second ACK for the QSO.

You are right that the 2nd 73 is superfluous but there are people who insist on it and who will deliberately not log you in order to teach you a lesson.

[Ed Muns] As stated in a prior posting, this is a good reason for the operator to not treat FT QSOs robotically, but to pay attention and intervene with an unnecessary 73 message to avoid a NIL.

BTW something else is that the grid exchange seems transposed in traditional vs FT8 auto seq. The grid is sent on initial CQ in FT8 but not in CW or SSB.

[Ed Muns] Yes, and when the CQer doesn’t send their exchange with the CQ message, the S&Per sends their exchange with their initial call, which is also backwards from typical legacy mode QSO sequencing.

Ria

N2RJ

[Ed Muns] Ed W0YK