[CQ-Contest] There goes the Clean Sweep

Jeff Clarke ku8e at ku8e.com
Fri Jan 3 17:32:09 EST 2020

No disrespect to my Canadian friends but....

I remember during the last couple years that some stations in the
Maritimes complaining (on this reflector) because each provinces didn't
count as a separate multiplier. Some even threatened to boycott the SSB
Sprint if they didn't get their way and the rules were changed to
appease them. I think the multipliers for the CW Sprint and NAQP were
changed as well. Despite this the Canadian participation is very poor in
most ARRL contests , with the exception of VE2/VE3. There are usually no
more than a few from each area of Canada besides VE2/3 in ARRL sponsored
contests.

I'm not sure how the ARRL determines if they should split a
state/province into multiple sections? If you go by population you could
make an argument that Illinois, Ohio, Georgia, North Carolina and
Michigan which are in the top ten in population in the US, should be
split into multiple sections. The population of Pennsylvania is almost
the same as Illinois but it has two sections (EPA and WPA) and IL has
one. The population of Ontario is 14.57 million. Toronto's metro
population is 5.9 million and the Toronto region has a population of 9.2
million. This is 64% of the total population of Ontario and they have
four sections (ONE,ONN,ONS and GTA)

I could make an argument that Georgia should be split into two sections.
The population of Georgia is 10.6 million. Of that 6.5 million is the
Atlanta metro area. So 61% of Georgia's population is in the Atlanta
area. Pretty much the same distribution as Ontario. I'm sure if you did
the calculations you would find the majority of Illinois is in the
Chicago metro, in North Carolina the Charlotte metro and Michigan the
Detroit metro area. Ohio is split between the Cleveland, Columbus and
Cincinnati metro areas which have similar populations.

I'v never understood why there are Canadian sections in the first place.
I guess that's just the way it's always been? If I'm not mistaken isn't
the RAC separate from the ARRL?  They have their own domestic contests
with Canada Day and the RAC contests. Why can't  Sweepstakes be the
domestic contest for the USA? Multipliers are USA sections and you could
work stations outside the US (including Canada) for QSO credit.

Jeff