[CQ-Contest] Mixed Digital Modes in HF Contests

Jeff Clarke ku8e at ku8e.com
Tue Jan 14 19:54:49 EST 2020

Agree Ed.  There are many more entries in traditional CW/SSB contests
sponsored by ARRL and CQ than a FT8 contest. If this mode was so great
then why did so few people use it in the ARRL RTTY Roundup a couple
weekends ago? If you don't believe me then check the 3830 claimed
scores. If the hardcore digital guys were mostly on RTTY in one of the
bigger digital contests of the year that's very telling.

BTW I'm not anti-digital. I operated some in the RU and get on FT8
regularly from home since there doesn't seem to be much other activity
on the bands during non-contesting periods. I even operated some FT8 on
my annual trip to Bonaire for CQWW DX CW back in November.

Jeff