[CQ-Contest] "Test" At End of CQ

Alan M. Eshleman doctore at well.com
Mon Jun 1 15:13:53 EDT 2020

Contesters come in all varieties and abilities.  One size does not fit all.  It behooves us as contesters to be flexible and adapt to what other operators are doing so long as they are not breaking any laws or being destructive.  Those who are destined to become good contest operators will in time become better and refine their techniques without needing any laws-of-conformity to be passed.  My first priority when working someone in a contest is not to critique their technique, but rather to get their call in the log.  I'm grateful to the NCCC for awarding me their CW Operating Excellence award way in 2014 and to my friends for including me in a few DXpeditions where I learned about handling high rates and improvising.

I am a different operator at age 76 than I was when I started as a novice 64 years ago. I believe my technique is good and my goals are (1) to allow space for others and (2) to have fun.  If it were not for the newcomers with their long CQs or "tests" or other deficiencies in technique there would be fewer stations for all of us to work.

73, Alan. K6SRZ