[CQ-Contest] What's your Opinion on 2BSIQ ?

Mike Smith VE9AA ve9aa at nbnet.nb.ca
Tue Jun 2 10:02:49 EDT 2020

Hey Jeff, What's up? Bee in your bonnet or just fishing? hi

I mostly agree with Ed and Dmitri's comments. In just 2 posts they pretty
much covered it.

How many ops in the shack? (One?, OK, single op category)

I'd much rather go up against a single op running 2BSIQ and normal antennas
in a normal QTH than an average op operating with the K3LR  or W3LPL
antennas. Why?

A lot of its success is dependent on the signal strength (and location-both
physically and rarity).  2BSIQ loses some/(much?) of its value if you are
using small antennas or operating from a common location. Nobody is running
CQWW CW 2BSIQ Low Power from Kansas with a Tribander @ 48' and inverted Vees
on 40/80 and doubling their score. If they ARE and I'm wrong, more power to
them.

I've tried 2BSIQ and while I am nowhere even remotely near the talent of
those that do it,(I really just dipped my toes in the 2BSIQ waters) I can
tell you there are many empty CQ's as I am not usually especially loud, nor
especially rare in most contests.

It's certainly not easy and it's not especially fun (to me). If folks ARE
doubling their scores with this tactic, more power to them. They should be
rewarded.  Last thing I want to see is 100 more categories or making rules
to limit those that are mentally able to do better than I am.  I am not in
favour of dumbing down the sport (for lack of a better phrase).

So this w/end to relax a little, I dabbled in the new "Classic" category
instead of 36hrs of butt-in-chair SO2R. I made 1350 Q's in 15:41hrs.  Rate
was good.  I had fun.

If you're not having fun, you're in the wrong game.

Mike VE9AA

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB