[CQ-Contest] CQ-Contest Digest, Vol 210, Issue 9

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Jun 4 17:20:01 EDT 2020

On 6/4/2020 11:50 AM, giwagner at k5kg.com wrote:
> I had a Comcast tech come to the house.  He discovered
> that my cable ground was loosely attached to a painted surface. He removed
> that one and put on a more substantial one directly to a ground rod.

He needs to learn NEC, which requires that ALL grounds in a facility be
bonded together. So do the telco guys. As Frank has noted, failure to do
this is a recipe for blowing up equipment. Ditto for shunt-mode (MOV)
surge protectors on branch circuits. They fine as whole house protectors
if properly installed, but the ONLY safe protectors on branch circuits
are SERIES-MODE, made by Surge-X. I use their model SA-20; the SX1120RT
is another good choice. They're not cheap, but neither is the gear that
they protect.

The difference bet series mode and shunt mode is addressed beginning on
page 28 of http://k9yc.com/SurgeXPowerGround.pdf

73, Jim K9YC