[CQ-Contest] What's your Opinion on 2BSIQ ?

Mike Smith VE9AA ve9aa at nbnet.nb.ca
Thu Jun 4 19:44:19 EDT 2020

Jeff, (and anyone in favour of making SO2R a separate category)

So you fellas/gals would have us create another category based almost
entirely on operating SKILL rather than number of people, amount of power
you're running or amount of outside assistance received?

Does that seem reasonable? Skill.  That's pretty much all SO2R/SO2V/2BSIQ
is.  Skill.  A learned and practiced activity. You have more of it -you've
worked for it.. I can't get there for some reasons, so..I want to pull you
back to my level?  Skill. One signal gets transmitted at a time.  One op in
the shack.  A few extra boxes for switching (none of which are smart or
offer assistance) and you have an SO2R station.

 I do it with low budget rigs, a single SO2R controller I built from a kit,
no towers, no stubs or any bandpass filters.

Because you fellas/gals are unwilling or unable to develop great (or maybe
any) So2V/SO2R (or 2BSIQ) skills, your scores may be less and apparently you
somehow feel slighted or cheated by those who wish to devote a great deal of
time & energy to developing those skills and wish to pull those elite down
to your level.  I don't get it.

That doesn't seem logical to me.

(I'd rather see different categories based on antenna size, where most of
the signal is developed.but that's just me ;-)

I would never campaign because you are more skillfill than me, so I want you
in a different category.

Regards

Mike

Dick,

I don't think they ought to ban 2BSIQ or SO2R. Just make it a separate class
like SOA. All the guys that are the elite operators do 2BSIQ anyway so they
will be still competing against each other. There will still be a lot of
very good operators that would compete in a single-operator category who
just don't want to mess with a SO2R setup. Remember the days when you had to
decide what band to be on to maximize your score? That's all gone out the
window with SO2R. It would be nice to introduce some operating strategy back
into contesting.

I wish CQ would expand on the Classic category and take away the time
limitation but keep it one radio. It would also be nice if ARRL would add
this category to their contests as well.

Jeff

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB