[CQ-Contest] WPX CW Signal Quality Concerns

K9MA k9ma at sdellington.us
Mon Jun 8 23:25:22 EDT 2020

On a related note, if I've done the math right, at 50 wpm, a dit lasts
24 ms, not including the following space.  I can see how 10 ms rise and
fall might sound a bit mushy at that speed. 4 ms would probably sound
better. However, contest speeds rarely exceed about 40 wpm, so 10 ms
would probably be an acceptable tradeoff for a radio that lacks the
raised cosine waveform, and much appreciated by the neighbors.

Outside of contests, when the bands aren't crowded, I'd have no
objection to the super-QRQ folks using faster rise and fall times. As
long as they remember to switch it back before the next contest.

73,
Scott K9MA