[CQ-Contest] WPX CW Signal Quality Concerns

Ed W0YK ed at w0yk.com
Tue Jun 9 10:32:37 EDT 2020

There are few, if any, K3 radios running pre-2013 firmware that added FSK waveshaping.  The radio has always had AFSK filtering.  Both types of K3 RTTY transmission are among the cleanest signals on the bands.There's  no excuse for wide RTTY in modern DSP radios.73,Ed W0YK
-------- Original message --------From: Tim Shoppa <tshoppa at gmail.com> Date: 6/9/20  06:59  (GMT-08:00) To: CQ-Contest Reflector <cq-contest at contesting.com> Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WPX CW Signal Quality Concerns Just a decade ago, CW contest signals with extreme power supply ripple(causing large sidebands +/-100, +/-300, +/-500 Hz but also out a longerways to kHz in worst cases) were extremely common from Europe. Today theyare rare to nonexistent and I think the efforts by contest organizers incalling out these bad signals played a big part.I have nothing against cleaning up CW keyclicks - for sure I was botheredby them several times in WPX CW weekend - but on the impact severity scalethe RTTY Keyclicks made by JA rigs (or unupgraded K3's there may be some ofthem still left) with FSK keying is way way worse than CW keyclicks. Thesesame guys go around bragging about how they do FSK keying so they haveperfect signals. W0YK's Contest University presentation is on-the-nose.Tim N3QE_______________________________________________CQ-Contest mailing listCQ-Contest at contesting.comhttp://lists.contesting.com/mailman/listinfo/cq-contest