[CQ-Contest] Elecraft KPA 1500 vs.OM 2000A

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Tue Mar 10 16:27:53 EDT 2020

Those are two completely different animals, one is lightweight and has
LDMOS finals that need an antenna tuner or a perfect antena and the
other uses a ceramic tetrode that can tolerate 3:1 SWR. A tetrode
tunes differently than a triode but perhaps the auto tune takes care
of this.  I am not sure if there is an OM power list but there is an
Elecraft list where you can follow any issues or complaints that
people may have.  Is quietness a concern? Is quickly setting it up
without a lot of adjustments a concern?

FWIW, I have used an Acom 2000A several times and basically I just
plugged it in and it worked plus it's super quiet. The only issue I
have saw with this amp is that it is sensitive to arcs in the antenna
system.

John KK9A

K4XS wrote:

Looking for a backup amp for the new station.  Probably going to run
SO2R so auto-tune is important.  I'm running a K3S and the second
radio will also be a K3S.  I really don't care if the amp "matches"
the K3S in looks.  Like most of you guys I'm concerned about
performance.  Both rigs are equal in price.
Here's the question:  If you were buying a new amp and were buying it
to satisfy the above criteria, which would you choose and why?
K4XS