[CQ-Contest] Merging Social Media and Contesting

Mats Strandberg sm6lrr at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 23:53:09 EDT 2020

You nailed it Stan!

I thought I was having fatigue from TI9A operation in the beginning of
February, and that should be the reason why I haven’t made a single QSO
as of yet since Feb 7:th.

However a few weeks ago, I was analyzing my impressions during that
expedition and afterwards.

So much new innovative crap appeared in relation to that operation, all
generated from modern inventions and so called development of Ham Radio:

Remote Ham Radio cheating (lots of stations using NA commercial remote
stations to facilitate contacts on bands at times they otherwise would not
have done.

Emails and Facebook messages complaining that people were wrongly logged
and requested us to change callsign, time and band, to finally get a new
one - or a new band slot.

Whining that their beloved fantastic new innovative DX-mode did not
generate any QSOs due to wrong messages from TI9A - or no synchronization
of times (as we had no internet and just GPS-USB device). Please be 100%
sure though, I personally refused that new innovative software to be
installed on my computer - or to let FTx be sent through my radio....

Attempts to bribe us with money, so we put them in the log, even though we
clearly did not work them.

I can continue more, but refrain from doing so.

Ham Radio has got very strange in the past years, and my own very personal
conclusion is that I do not find this exaggerated innovation of Ham Radio
good at all.

Live streaming is another invented stupidity of Ham Radio that apparently
are supported by some, as well as probably other innovative development of
Ham Radio stated above...

My decision, if someone wonders why RM2D is not active anymore, is to take
a indefinite timeout from Ham Radio, spend time with my family and my other
hobbies, contemplate on whether Ham Radio was completely destroyed by the
euphoria of fantastic innovation or not.

As it feels now, as a result of all this so called development of Ham
Radio... I am feeling completely comfortable being outside this new circus
show.

I might change my mind and come back to the hobby one day - but guys and
gals, don’t expect it.

You who love distorting Ham Radio with all kinds of innovative whistles and
bells, please continue. I am proud not to part of that so called
development. I embrace traditional Ham Radio where Ham Spirit prevailed -
and no excessive technological innovation euphoria or power/cluster/remote
cheating set the new standard.

Anyone who still wish to keep contact with me or meet in real life, to
discuss Real Ham Radio, my email in QRZ.COM is still valid. Maybe we go
fishing instead?

73 de RM2D (Mats)