[CQ-Contest] Merging Social Media and Contesting

contesting at w2irt.net contesting at w2irt.net
Fri Mar 13 10:29:47 EDT 2020

Ed has it 100% right here. I'm good with innovation, but don't you dare
pretend to compete with folks who are keeping within both the letter and
spirit of the rules. I would strongly support the addition of an
unlimited/anything-goes class for such innovators and let them compete
against each other. But to allow these new technologies to compete with
traditional contest stations is a travesty in my book.

Personally, I would like to see the contest committees from both CQ and ARRL
sit down, along with perhaps the WWROF, and hammer out a new regulatory
framework for the major DX contests, taking modern technologies into
account. Redefine the categories and what level of assistance is permitted
in each; everything from a boy and his radio to full social media
interaction.

The bottom line is that I want to compete on a level playing field. I won't
be top-10 world in my lifetime, but I might be in the top-10 US and I'm
regularly top-5 in my division, section, or call area in the assisted
category, either SOAB-A/HP or M/S HP. My only assistance is the traditional
telnet cluster and perhaps one day my own on-site skimmer. No remoting of
any kind, etc. I'll happily compete with folks using similar technologies
but if you lump me in with high-end remote stations using social media then
my interest will wane.

GO FRC!
Peter, W2IRT

www.facebook.com/W2IRT